Sunday, December 1, 2019

Book Review: Top Ten Clues You're Clueless


Top Ten Clues You're Clueless
Author: Liz Czukas (@lizczukas)
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: December 9, 2014
Format: Paperback
Pages: 304
Source: Bought
Rating: 4/5 stars
Extras: Author Website
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads, Book Depository
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Top Five Things That Are Ruining Chloe’s Day

5) Working the 6:30 a.m. shift at GoodFoods Market

4) Crashing a cart into a customer’s car right in front of her snarky coworker Sammi

3) Trying to rock the “drowned rat” look after being caught in a snowstorm

2) Making zero progress with her crush, Tyson (see #3)

1) Being accused—along with her fellow teenage employees—of stealing upwards of $10,000

Chloe would rather be anywhere than locked in work jail (aka the break room) with five of her coworkers . . . even if one of them is Tyson. But if they can band together to clear their names, what looks like a total disaster might just make Chloe’s list of Top Ten Best Moments. Again.

I keep hearing that being a geek is cool now, but I'm not sure the rest of the world has gotten the memo, because I still feel like a pretty big dork compared to a lot of people at my new school. And being insecure makes me want to write more lists, which makes me feel nerdier, which makes me write more lists... You can see my problem.
This book was a surprise that I didn’t know was going to happen. When I first got this book, I thought it was going to be just like any other romance. However, it was fun and quirky. It also reminded me of my time working at a grocery store, which is a bonus.


This book is about Chloe Novak, a girl who works at a grocery store, likes to make lists, and is trying to make diabetes not control her life. Today is one of the worst days to be at a grocery store. It’s Christmas Eve and everyone and their mom are at the store shopping for last minute stuff that they need. Fortunately, for Chloe, that means everyone is scheduled to work today, including Tyson. Unfortunately, Chloe still doesn’t have the guts to talk to him without having word vomit.

Today, she is determined to get to know her co-workers, stop making lists, and get through the holiday rush. The only problem is that money from the donation box has gone missing and Chloe and five other teens are the top suspects. Chloe, who likes a good mystery, tries to figure out who the real culprit is. She needs to hurry though or they are going to be stuck at the grocery store on Christmas Eve.

The book was fun because of the cast of characters. Liz Czukas has created a diverse group of characters with real-life problems. For her to be able to add some deeper details in such a short amount of time, this is what made the book entertaining. I usually don’t like books that only take place during one day, but this author did well with keeping the pace going.

There was a romance, but it was not a love at first sight type of romance. It was a crush that was already developed and in one day, Chloe actually gets the nerve to do something about it. I really liked this. I just wish we got to see them when the book ends. It ends on Christmas Eve and I wanted to know what happens to the characters after the big reveal.


Anyways, this book is perfect for the holiday season. I am glad it was the first book I read for the Winter Readerland, and can’t wait to read more holiday books like this one.
This was an older release. Liz Czukas writes adult romances now. However, she has had two other YA books which are titled Ask Again Later and Throwing My Life Away.

No comments:

Post a Comment